Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer for Yelm

There are plenty of reasons seniors pick Yelm as an ideal spot to retire. Yelm City Park and Cochrane Memorial Park are just a couple of the parks making up Yelm’s impressive park system. There are also several nursing home options for the elderly population, which makes up nearly seven percent of the city’s population.

If you’re looking for a nursing home, the Lewis/Mason/Thurston Aging and Disability Resource Center is the local Area Agency on Aging (888-702-4464) that acts as a resource for seniors and their families in the area. The searchable database of nursing home facilities is another good resource.

Nursing homes and long-term care centers have a legal (and ethical) responsibility to provide adequate care for the residents in their facility. If you suspect that your loved one has been abused or neglected or if you believe that abuse or neglect contributed to your loved one’s death, it’s important to take swift action. Report abuse to the authorities, take whatever steps necessary to ensure your loved one’s well-being, and determine if you have a legal remedy to hold the facility accountable for the harm it caused.

What to Do If You Suspect Abuse or Neglect

If you suspect your loved one is being abused, there are several things you’ll want to do. First, notify the facility’s administration and then report the abuse to the authorities. There are three calls to make to report the abuse: law enforcement (if your loved one is in danger), the local Adult Protective Services (APS), and the state’s Long-term Care Ombudsman. Note, the APS contact person for Yelm and the rest of Thurston County is Paul Tosch. He can be reached at 360-943-6018. The Washington State Ombudsman is Patricia Hunter, who can be reached at 800-562-6028.

If your loved one suffered harm, call a local nursing home abuse and neglect attorney to discuss your legal options. Collect as much evidence as possible regarding the abuse to share with the authorities and with your attorney. This includes photos, your loved one’s medical records, and witness contact information. Also keep records of any expenses you’ve incurred because of the abuse, e.g. extra medical care, counseling, etc. You will receive better answers to your nursing home abuse questions if you provide evidence and information.

Our team at Ron Meyers & Associates PLLC cares deeply for elders and their well-being. We believe that every elder has rights to quality care and dignity; it’s our priority to defend those rights and to hold anyone who violates those rights legally liable. Call our office, Ron Meyers & Associates PLLC, for help at 844-920-2438 to schedule a consultation. Ron will travel to Yelm after the initial phone consultation to help you with your case.

10.0 Avvo Superb Rated
Million Dollar Advocates Forums member
NITA Master Advocate
Olympia Personal Injury Lawyers and Law Firm