Questions to Ask an Attorney about Nursing Home Abuse

Nursing home abuse and neglect is a very serious form of medical malpractice. If you believe that your elderly loved one may be suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect in Washington State, you need to meet with an attorney. Here are some questions to ask your legal advocate about nursing home abuse.

What are the signs of nursing home abuse?

If you suspect that your elderly loved one is being mistreated, abused or neglected in a nursing home, you need to learn how to detect the signs of nursing home abuse. identifies six main types of nursing home abuse.

  • Financial exploitation
  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Neglect or abandonment
  • Healthcare provider fraud
  • Emotional abuse

If you suspect that any of the above occurred, you should take action immediately.

Is nursing home abuse a form of medical malpractice?

Your attorney will tell you and your family that nursing home abuse is a form of medical malpractice, and a nursing home can face civil charges if abuse is present.

What types of damages are available?

If you decide to file a medical malpractice claim against a nursing home on the behalf of your elderly loved one, there are two types of damages that you may be awarded: economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages are paid for financial losses, such as medical expenses due to the injury or harm suffered. Noneconomic damages are damages that are paid for less measurable losses, such as pain, suffering and emotional distress. There is no cap on noneconomic damages in Washington State.

Do you have experience with cases like mine?

If you are thinking about filing a medical malpractice claim for damages against a nursing home, you’ll want the assistance of an attorney who has handled claims like yours in the past. When meeting with an attorney, don’t hesitate to ask about his or her experience and previous case outcomes.

What do you charge?

Just as important as experience is the amount of money that an attorney charges. Most good lawyers charge a contingency fee rather than an hourly rate. With contingency fees, your attorney will be paid only if your case is successful, and the payment will be based on a percentage of your damages amount.

What should I do now?

If you believe that your elderly loved one is suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect, the next step is taking action. By meeting with an attorney, you can begin investigating your claim, gathering the evidence that will be necessary to prove that medical malpractice has occurred and filing your claim for damages. In Washington State, you have three years to file a medical malpractice claim for damages from the time that the abuse occurred, as outlined by the Revised Code of Washington Section 4.16.080. For this reason, you should consider taking action as soon as possible to protect your loved one and recover damages for his or her abuse.

The Attorneys at Ron Meyers & Associates PLLC are Ready to Help You!

At Ron Meyers & Associates PLLC, we are ready to provide answers to all of your tough legal questions about nursing home abuse and our approach to handling your claim. If you have a loved one who you believe has suffered or is suffering, from nursing home abuse or neglect, let us help you today. Contact our legal team now for a free case consultation at 360-459-5600 or contact us via our website.

10.0 Avvo Superb Rated
Million Dollar Advocates Forums member
NITA Master Advocate
Olympia Personal Injury Lawyers and Law Firm